Resume at a glance
- BS Civil Engineering – Texas Tech University
- MS Environmental Managment – University of Houston, Clear Lake
- Completion – Program for Managers, Rice University
- Amoco Corporation
- BP, PLC.
- SLR International
- Self-employed – Garrett Environmental Strategies
Sustainability and Environmental Management Consultant
- From 2011-2015, I was the Director of GHG Management and Air Quality for BP. In this role, I managed the convergence of GHG policy, technology and operations for the Group. This was a global role that stretched across the breadth of BP. In this role, I was a frequent participant in policy development and represented BP with a variety of external stakeholders. I was responsible for BP’s submission to CDP and was the author of several sections of its sustainability report. Also, in this role, I was Vice Chair of an industry trade association Climate Change Working Group.
- I have over forty years’ experience, principally in environmental and safety management positions in the global energy industry. During this time, I’ve worked in a wide variety of settings from chemical plants and refineries to global corporate oversight roles. My experience ranges from operations, permitting and enforcement to regulatory advocacy to climate change and sustainability management. I have particular experience in EHS management system development in all types of energy-related operations.
- Much of my career has been in support of capital projects of all sizes. I have managed a capital projects delivery organization with a turnover averaging $20M/year and have served as the project EHS manager on four different major capital project programs, each of which were well over a billion dollars in value. My special expertise in these projects is in the early stages when the projects are in development helping to steer project concept selection.
- In addition to my formal roles in capital projects I am a trained facilitator for risk assessment and discovery sessions. In these sessions we look at a host of sustainability factors as well as economic, technology, political and other risks. I have led dozens of risk evaluations across the US as well in Canada, Europe, India and China.
- After I retired from BP in 2015, I became involved in consulting and in community activities. Most rewarding was the year and a half where I put my practice on hold and led Galveston County’s long-term recovery from the ravages of Hurricane Harvey. In this effort, we raised millions of dollars for recovery but most importantly we developed the infrastructure that has enabled thousands of families to return to their damaged homes. From this on-the-ground involvement and from previous similar experiences I understand how large entities can positively interact with the most vulnerable members of our society.